martes, 17 de abril de 2012

Locomalito

Today I want to write about both, a game, and a game developer that caught my attention recently. Locomalito is an Spanish indie developer that has been around for a long time, his games have been featured in IndieGames blog and TIGSource many times, and is well known among indie developers. When you visit his website you will find that his background as graphic designer is pleasantly evident, and after you dive around for a while you will probably notice his remarkable retro-game-love philosophy too. But above his outstanding graphic art and his philosophy (with which I couldn't agree more), there are his games: in every single game that Locomalito has develop you will find those retro-arcade-game-lover principles that he has named has his philosophy.

I found Locomalito while doing a little research about Game Maker (a 2D game development framework). I was looking for games created with the engine to see what it was capable of and decide if it was really and option for me (that was before I found that Derek Yu did Spelunky with it!). The first game I was attracted to was L'Abbaye des Morts, and I fall in love with those ZX Spectrum graphics. Next I tried the rest of the games, and while doing it, I get more and more excited about the possibilities of Game Maker, and what an indie developer could make with his spare time.

(Wow, now that I look again at the game, is just  amazing that there are only 16 colors)

The games, as I said before are retro-inspired, and that means that sometimes difficult is pretty hard, but hard in the good way, the fun way (yea, by fun maybe I mean a little masochism...). On the other hand I think that retro style games makes game design work at the edge, because with limited resources you can not easily hide a flawed design, and that makes playability a super-important aspect that you can not put behind state-of-the-art graphics, as in many AAA games.

What else can I say... maybe just that I want so badly to be the game developer that Locomalito is, and make the games that he does. Thanks for the inspiration!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario